Thursday, July 16, 2009

wet floor. sweaty bottom.

let me start by saying i LOVE 24 hour gym classes. i've been going to them for almost four years. i'll even say that it's my favorite evening activity, and i'll forgo hanging out with friends in order to enjoy my classes. i also have a membership to the YMCA via my mom (so i can work out in topeka) that is good anywhere, but i don't care, i love my gym. i'll pay for it.

let me add on that i have a routine. something monday, tuesday, etc., etc.- except for wednesday. that's my free night. i usually just do some cardio on an elyptical, stretch, and go home. HOWEVER, this wednesday (last night), was different. my ear buds broke on my ipod, and i absolutely cannot work out without music. it makes for the longest. work out. ever. so....i decided to hop in to a TKB class, led by miza. i have done one of her classes before and remember it was a good work out. (let me add also that i am a total gym class SNOB. i can tell you the best teachers in the city, and i won't go to the bad ones. no matter the situation.) what i DON'T remember, however, is that she is a total drill sergeant and that i needed to fear for my life!!

it was packed. which is a good thing. it means she's good. maybe 40 bodies in a room built for the clearly marked 28- above the door in fire-code fashion. and we were off. no warnings, no hi's, no "my names is....welcome to.....". nothing. (which is fine. i could do the warm-up in my sleep.) but we were doing the newest round. which i hadn't done yet, because the class i normally attend is still doing the last one. i was actually quite proud of myself because i was picking it up more quickly than normal...avoiding looking like a fumbling idiot. and then it happened. about 20 minutes in the floor was covered in sweat. too many people. small space. not enough fans. dehumidifier not cutting it. and things got slimy.

i was so worried about slipping and busting a knee-cap. most instructors would say "be careful", or "watch the floor ladies", but not her. she just kept on. the girl behind me fell. nothing. miza reminded me of a gymnast on crack. i wanted so plea, "i like my knees. i need them." i was happy to be cautious and careful. apparently, she thought i was a wuss.

to top it all off....at the end of class, we do squats. now, being cautious of my knees i was doing very hesitant squats. i was wobbly. tired. shaky. covered in sweat. so this results in less than proper form. according to her, this was unacceptable. so, you know what she did? she came by and yelled, "TIGHTER!", and gave me a good shove. any other day, i would think, "oh, she's telling me how good i'm doing, that's nice." but not today. as i lost footing from the push, nearly falling over, i thought, "she's really trying to kill me." isn't that special?

and you know what? i'll go back next wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. I always look like a total idiot at TKB. I really like Karen. Have you ever been to one of her classes? I would love to go to the pool with you sometime! Thank you for offering. We're leaving for Colorado tomorrow morning, but maybe next weekend? I'll message you my # and stuff.

    ReplyDelete