Tuesday, July 7, 2009

try as i might


as i told you earlier, i've been trying to grow things. i do not have the green thumb of my mother, it seems that whatever she touches blooms and thrives. maybe, it's a skill that comes with practice, but here are my small efforts, courtesy of my mama.

let me start by saying this plant(picture top right) i had in manhattan. (eeka and linds you might remember) it was in the front room of the fairchild house about 10 inches tall and 3 little leaves held on for their dear life. when i moved to kansas city, my mom took custody and she swears that she only 'sat it on the back porch and watered it here and there'. please note also that at this point the plant is so tall i had to get the world's largest (and now heaviest when filled with dirt and said plant) planter to contain it's mass. it will take many men to bring this inside for the winter.

my other adventure was several hours of digging and removing leaves/old mulch in the two beds that surround my little patio. my mom helped me plant iris (that will bloom next spring) along the fence, and lots of cone flowers, daisies, lilies, and black-eyed susans to fill the newly cleaned beds. i can't kill any of those hardy flowers. they have just now started to really grow and bloom. (these pics were taken a month ago.....)











and please notice in the pic to the left, my sad, teasing little tomato plants. they have grown even bigger than when this picture is taken, and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but i can't get the darn thing to blossom and give me food. ugh. so frustrating.

however, in the left above, right behind my chairs, you can see my herb pots. they are nice and bushy now, and i've even added a couple more. they house basil, thyme, sage, spearmint, pinapple mint, chives, parsley, cilantro, lavendar, and some bug be gone citronella smelling thing.


those are my efforts. any word on what to do for the 'maters? i'd take any help i can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment