Tuesday, May 26, 2009

memorial day weekend

i'm convinced that my mother is lying about her age. she never stops. and the woman is 63. she really is amazing. there are lots of things i learn 'as i get older', but appreciating my mom at this depth is something i wish i would have had done all my life.

she came up friday night to see me at work and meet all my new co-workers and doctors. (of course she came with gifts, because she had combed through her flower beds and brought lots of bulbs and plants to give away.) once we got to my place, we unloaded her car. (full of things that had been stored at the house in topeka.) she refinished the leaf of my dining room table, which had been ruined in the move, and it looks absolutely PERFECT. she's amazing. handy-dandy, that woman. she also brought lots of flowers for my place.....and we spent about 10 hours in my flower beds this weekend. i'm convinced that the grounds keeper at my complex sucks, hard core. there was about 2 feet of old mulch on my patio, along with whatever winter debri had not been removed. it was a mess. but now, (pictures coming soon), it's beautiful. i have an herb garden, a couple tomato plants, and the most overgrown rubber plant you have ever seen. (the pot we ended up planting it in will NEVER move.) on top of all that we went to ace hardware about 5 times, combed the prairie village garage sales, met my cousin for lunch and pedicures, finished sewing my curtains, (but NOT on sunday, my mother refuses to sew on a sunday), watched a couple flicks, walked the dog, and worked in the yard some more.

it's really fun to have that time with my mom. makes me miss my brother. and wish he could come visit more often. and when trying to hang shelves, and it doesn't quite go right, makes me miss my dad. cause he would've tore that up in about five seconds. i'm really lucky to have such a great family. i've always said, "we might be a small bunch, but we certainly are mighty." i realize that at 30, i spend a lot more time with my family than the average woman. but i don't care, cause it's really fun. and in hindsight, i wish i would have spent more time with my father, so there are few things i'd rather do than hang with my mom.

she really is the best mom in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Megan. I just found your blog and have been reading through your old posts...I feel so out of touch with you, but I love "catching up" with you in this way! I loved this post about your mom!

    ReplyDelete