Tuesday, September 8, 2009

it's like christmas eve.

so it's no secret i'm trying to make it through the fall. and as hard as i expect some days to be, the anticipation of fun times ahead is doing a wonderful job of keeping me distracted.

when i was little i couldn't wait until christmas morning. my mom always used to say, "the soooner you get to sleep, the sooner santa will come." so without fail, every year on december 24th (the one night my parents would not have to bribe me to go to sleep), i would rush to bed. i would lay there and squint my eyes so tight. i always hoped i would drift off to sleep with lightening speed, knowing the night would pass in a second and i would get to open my presents as soon as i awoke.

that's how i feel about this fall. the line-up is amazing. probably not amazing to the average person, but amazing to me. here are some of the things keeping me up late at night with the happy anxiousness of a 5 year old.

#1. leah kraft is turning 30, and as my friends tend to roll...the party is going to be sick. i like dressing up and going fancy places, and this is sure to be one for the books. sept 26th. good friends. good food. surely someone will do something obscene. i'm hoping.

#2. oct 13th. i get to spend one lovely evening, with the lovely miss kelly jackson, watching these lovely boys....i'm sort of obsessed with the sound of them. i love caleb's voice. kings of leon. love it.

#3. october 22nd through 26th. if anything is bound to be ridiculous- this is it. california- revisited. it's round two of the 30th birthday extravaganza. same crew. same state. same fun. and this time, the price is right will not be canceled. i cannot wait to spend time with these kids. can. not. wait.


#4. i love my boss. let me say it again, i love my boss. i actually have lots of bosses, but she is my direct supervisor. lorraine. she's amazing, kind, generous, thoughtful. i love learning from her. we have so much fun being a team and learning to be a better team. but the most fun thing about lorraine is we giggle like junior highers. about lots of things. she introduced me to the twilight books. i hated them, detested them. and now, i'm obsessed. she teases me all the time and puts up pictures of rob pattinson on the walls by my desk. it's great fun.

so on november 21st......it's national appreciate lorraine day. i'm so excited. she's a very practical woman, and i'm not, so i'm going to take her to do something that she would never do for herself. new moon premiere downtown at the mainstreet theatre. it's going to be really fun.....who would disagree?

#5. halloween haunt. my brother and i do this every year. we love it. well, he loves it except i scream and cling to him in sheer terror. but, he lives with it. world's of fun becomes fright fest every fall for halloween. i'm hoping we never get too old for this.

#6. and finally for thanksgiving, for the first time EVER, the my mom's siblings and all my cousins are getting together in the most western of kansas to celebrate. it's something i've pushed for, for years, and never won out. but this year, we've rented an entire house and are all going to barricade away in wakeeney, kansas. i'm sure that i will want to escape as soon as i am trapped with my mom and her sisters, but for now, it will be so special.

isn't it all so great? i just cannot stop counting down the days.

5 comments:

  1. those are amazing things. I had no idea about the worlds of fun thing. I'm going to check out Kings of Leon. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea Megan. I should do that. Please take lots of good pictures at all of said events!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great strategy! I've found it also works when cultural fatigue really hits hard! :) Glad it's keeping your heart light and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you have some things to look forward to! party it up for us :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish that seeing you was on my list of things that i'm excited about right now! it's too far away to be encouraging! a whole year?! gross! i wish you were here to see my belly. it's huge, and now i waddle. you should probably make fun of me from where you are right now. people now are really staring at my belly. we went to the mall last night for dinner and a movie and i started noticing the staring and said to matt, why is everyone staring, my belly isn't that big! his answer was a very diplomatic statement that in fact, it IS quite big! then he started noticing everyone noticing my belly and laughing. . .good times.

    ReplyDelete